Saturday, September 6, 2008

Our Son, Brad

Our son, Brad. Awesome personality, significant, valuable, an important member of society, smart, creative. Loves to sing and take things apart, studied a trig book for hours in the 5th grade...

But pre-IM he couldn't turn in a homework assignment if it bit him on the nose! And it looked like a bomb exploded in his desk. Daily. We had years of testing, but the most therapy he ever qualified for was 6 months of speech. He was a child falling through the cracks. We often noted that he marched to the beat of his own drum.

After thousands of dollars spent on counseling, medications and tutoring, IM was the key that changed his life. All other interventions fell by the wayside. He is our miracle child, though hardly a child anymore. He went through IM at age 17! The sooner the better, but it's never too late!

I wish Brad could have had IM at age 8. The hardships ahead were evident by that time. But I hadn't heard of it then, nor was it available. With Brad, I discovered that children do not outgrow true learning difficulties. Instead, the gap was increasing. Changing his life course meant finding the right tool. For Brad, that tool was IM.

Brad is now a 23 year old grad school student studying Occupational Therapy in Kansas City. He knows I talk about him all the time. He's cool with that. I talk about him because other parents--who are where I was 10 years ago--frequently tell me Brad's story gives them hope. Besides. I just like talking about him! I'm his mom.