Thursday, November 18, 2010

"I didn't know I could be this happy!"

Words from one of my students today - "I didn't know I could be this happy!"
This was day 13 of basic IM. In previous posts I've mentioned that under 20 ms(milliseconds) is magic - the elite range of mental processing in IM terms. Yesterday on the 1000 rep task, this 10 yr old boy was under 20ms for just the first 4 minutes of this long task, and it felt so good. But he didn't stay down there and soon began to feel poorly. The emotional aspect of IM is SOO powerful and SOO obvious!!! He left that day in a frumpy mood, a negative chemical burst in his brain, all because he ended that task at 21 ms instead of 19ms! Today, he saw the 1100 reps on the computer screen, my goal for him today. He immediately reacted with an "I can't do that!" (ANTs - automatic negative thoughts - You can't prevent these from popping into your brain but you can choose to believe them or not.) He still was able to approach the task with an open mind and tried his best, 20 minutes later, after ending in the teens for the first time ever on a long task, he almost immediately exclaimed with a huge smile on his face, "I didn't know I could be this happy!"  Magic happens under 20 ms, not just emotional magic, mental magic as well. This is my goal for your child in as many tasks as possible. Read this post for more information about the 20 ms mark.