Saturday, February 19, 2011

I feel like one of those moms who brags that her baby turned over for the first time.

Just wanted to say thanks for yesterday. I am so encouraged by K----- and his behaviors lately. I don't think it has ever been this good for our family and I know it's because of YOU. Last night continued to be good. I threw my back out so B----- (adult daughter) came over and made dinner. K----- was in the kitchen wanting to read the labels. B---- is usually grouchy to him but because he was so nice she was in a good mood and she showed him how to read them. It was really fun watching them.
This morning he was playing outside and D---- (K's sister one year older) came in and said she couldn't find K----. I figured he went in the neighbors shed to help that man so I told her where to look and have K----- come home. K------- came home and I told him it was not okay to go anywhere without telling me. I am telling you Lori, normally K------ would not have been able to handle it and go right into melt down mode. This time he said, "okay mom I will next time. Sorry, can I go back over?" That never happens!! I feel like one of those moms who brags that her baby turned over for the first time. This would seem ridicules to most but its huge for us. Gains! Again, so cool and thanks so much. I really appreciate you so much, thanks for all your work because ITS WORKING!!




I received this email entitled "Great Gains" today. Made my day!!!  A little background. After a challenging past, this young man was adopted 16 months ago at age 9, has many many emotional, academic and behavioral challenges. Meltdowns can be extreme and frequent. He has completed about 30 sessions of IM over the last 12 months and just this past week reached the teens. Here's my response back to the mom.


Your feedback at this time is particularly important to me and may be enlightening to you.  K----  reached solid teens in both hands 2 sessions ago – the day that he first expressed pleasure to me –"I’m happy” - his words. Then this Friday he reached solid teens on his right hand, his second task to reach that level of expertise in IM.  I think magic happens at 18 ms.  Quality changes happen before that, but 18 ms is the best for most!  He’s just beginning to get there and you are seeing the magic. Read my post here.

Also, don’t get caught off guard, his meltdowns are frequent, well established behavior patterns, therefore  next time may not go so smoothly. What you want is less frequent and less intense meltdowns, with more frequent and more readily accessible appropriate behaviors. IM is helping him have access to his full brain so he can learn what you teach. Keep reteaching him. Don’t expect miracles, but do know these are very good signs of new skills coming on line for K----. J Thanks for sharing J  Lori