Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yoga For Kids

Parents often ask me what they can do at home to help their struggling child succeed. I don't think you can replicate the quality of impact or the fast changes that occur with IM training without the computerized feedback system, but that is not to underestimate the power of dedicated home bound interventions. There are things that you can do that are very helpful with dedication and knowledge. One of them is yoga for kids. It is good for everyone but especially children with these issues:
Body in space issues
Low muscle tone
Focus issues
Balance challenges
Inhibition weaknesses (impulsive)

Finally, I see moves in yoga that can help integrate some of the retained infant reflexes I see so often with the kiddo's I work with.  Yoga is a great habit for the whole family.  Here are a few options for you to try out. Google Yoga for kids for some more.

A little older child


A little younger child


A news article about the benefits


For Preschoolers with energy


Sing your morning yoga routine - younger child


Mom and child climb on me yoga