Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Teacher, not Occupational Therapist

I am an educator, not an occupational therapist.

So why's that important to you?
The number one reason this comes up is IM is covered by insurance IF you go to an Occupational Therapist. I am a teacher, therefore am NOT under the insurance umbrella. Everyone I see is private pay. Some flex spending accounts now will reimburse you, but mostly IM training comes out of moms and dads, or grandma and grandpas pockets. When I think of the limitations on those under the insurance umbrella, I rather like the freedom and possibilities that private pay offers! I also can work payment plans to fit family needs, where big business is set in stone.

I LOVE being an educator doing IM. I am not constrained by the researched 15 sessions that insurance companies will pay for (never mind your child could go farther with more, that you child NEEDS more to succeed - your 15 sessions are up, that's all you get.)  I can also set an educators price, not the $160/hr that medical insurance would reimburse for an OT. As an OT, I would need to charge ALL of my clients that reimbursed rate, even the 90% of students that I see that would not qualify for OT services, yet struggle. As an educator, I am not limited to 60 minute sessions allowed under insurance, well 50 minutes and 10 minutes of paperwork to document for insurance companies sake.  I can offer IM in the format I feel is most effective for your child, not watered down and limited. But by far the most important reason I love being an educator is I see EVERYONE! From the very smart to the very challenged, from the 2 yr old to the 72 year old. From the national merit scholar to the immature uncoordinated 2nd grader.

That is a huge benefit - a privilege not everyone gets. I know what 'typical' looks like. If all I saw were students that qualified for OT services, I would not know what typical is. I think I get great results because of my unique knowledge of 'typical'. And besides understanding typical movement patterns better, my goals for almost every student I see are higher than most covered under insurance can afford to make. The goal is NOT to reach the goal on the IEP or even to get off an IEP. My goal is that your child becomes TYPICAL (or even exceptional!) Every child should have a chance to be typical if it's at all attainable for them. I know what typical is, and I how to get your child there if at all possible with this tool! So... no, I'm not under the insurance umbrella, but be glad of that! I sure am! For me, the sky's the limit! No regulations holding me back!